Strong Performance from our investment trust portfolios
We update our ten stock mainstream investment trust portfolio at least monthly; this is a portfolio which will concentrate on having the majority of exposure to UK investments. Sign up to see this portfolio under Model Portfolios when you become a member. Choose from our other investment trust portfolios, Income, International, Contrarian and Alternative to build your own portfolios. Or check out our ‘Choosing Portfolios’ tab.
The advantages of investment trusts
We like investment trusts chiefly because of their low charges and the ability to buy them at a discount to net asset value. The ability to gear (borrow), when used sensibly, is also an advantage of investment trusts over unit trusts or OEICs. As closed end funds the investment manager can take a long term view and follow their conviction. For income investors, the ability to build up revenue reserves is also an advantage.
Investment trust selection process
- We select investment trusts that have the most attractive combination of long term performance and level of discount;
- We actively manage our selections to sell those trusts where the discounts have narrowed and buy those on more attractive discounts;
- We ensure fund manager and style diversification as far as possible;
- We use Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) where these provide a better risk/reward ratio than the equivalent investment trust.
Each month we publish our investment trust research showing:
- AIC listed investment company discounts at the previous month end;
- The latest discounts as per the Financial Times;
- Those trusts with an above average sectoral performance over five years.